What is SharePoint?
- SharePoint is Microsoft’s enterprise information portal. It can be configured to run Intranet, Extranet and Internet sites.
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 allows people to connect and collaborate.
- A SharePoint enterprise portal is composed of SharePoint Portal and Windows SharePoint Services.
- SharePoint Server is designed medium to large company wide enterprise portal.
What is Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server?
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 is a collaborative enterprise portal that is built upon WSS 3.0. MOSS 2007 allows people, teams and expertise to connect and collaborate. Unlike WSS, SharePoint Server is not free and requires an additional license. MOSS 2007 comes in two versions – Standard and Enterprise. The main components of SharePoint 2007 are collaboration, portals, enterprise search, enterprise content management, business process and forms, and business intelligence.
How is SharePoint Portal Server different from the Site Server?
It becomes difficult to keep a track of the large amount of documents with the growth of companies. SharePoint lets these be stored centrally. So instead of having them shared via emails, Sharepoint allows an easy access to the members by storing the files at one place. SharePoint allows anyone to create sites for use within their company’s Intranet.
How is security managed in SharePoint?
- Authentication : SharePoint can run under various IIS modes to authenticate its users. The modes include: Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows or Certificates Authentication (over SSL).
- Authorization : SharePoint security facilitates the regulation of access privileges of users and groups as well.
- Impersonation : .NET Impersonation which is utilized by SharePoint allows an application to run under the context of the client accessing an application.
- Deployment and Code Access Security : .NET Code Access Security (CAS) provides a security model. It can restrict the operations that can be performed as well as the resources that can be accessed by managed code.
What is Windows SharePoint Services?
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 is the platform on which all SharePoint Products and Technologies are built. It is suitable for small teams, projects and organizations.
WSS’s project collaboration, document workspace, meeting sub-site, and discussion board features allow individuals and small teams to collaborate and share information online.
New features in WSS 3.0 include:
- integrated workflows
- RSS feeds
- ASP-style Web parts.