I have used a lot of free .NET libraries, some from Microsoft itself! Which ones have you found the most useful?
Package managers for external libraries
- NuGet (formerly known as NuPack) – Microsoft (developer-focused package management system for the .NET platform intent on simplifying the process of incorporating third party libraries into a .NET application during development)
- OpenWrap – Sebastien Lambla – Open Source Dependency Manager for .net applications
- Prebuild – Generate project files for all VS version, including major IDE’s and tools like SharpDevelop, MonoDevelop, NAnt and Autotools
Dependency Injection/Inversion of Control
- Unity Framework – Microsoft
- StructureMap – Jeremy Miller
- Castle Windsor
- Spring Framework
- Simple Injector
- Managed Extensibility Framework
- Logging Application Block – Microsoft
- Log4Net – Apache
- Error Logging Modules and Handlers(ELMAH)
- Logging Abstraction Api “Common.Logging”
Design by Contract
- YUI Compressor (CSS and JS minification)
- AjaxMinifier (in other downloads) (CSS and JS minification. Also includes MSBuild task)
- SevenZipSharp to pack, unpack a lot of different packages (including RAR, 7ZIP, etc).
- ZipStorer A Pure C# Class to Store Files in Zip
- Ajax Control Toolkit – Microsoft
- AJAXNet Pro
- ASP.NET MVC Project Awesome – ajax helpers for asp.net mvc
- Autoscaling Application Block – BETA – Most important are of course the Enterprise Patterns and Practices Libraries, several code blocks that assist with AZURE coding
- Data accessors from the Data Access Application Block
- NHibernate and FluentNHibernate
- Castle ActiveRecord
- Truss Data binding and real time property sync library
- Microsoft Chart Controls for ASP.NET 3.5 SP1
- Microsoft Chart Controls for Winforms
- ZedGraph Charting
- NPlot – Charting for ASP.NET and WinForms
- ImageResizer – Url-driven image processing for both ASP.NET and .NET
- ImageMagick – It’s a suite to create, edit, compose, or convert bitmap images.
Automated Web Testing
Misc Testing/Quality Support/Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
- Glimpse – Firebug for your webserver
MS Word/Excel Documents Manipulation
- DocX to create, read, manipulate formatted word documents. Easy syntax, working nicely, actively developed. No Microsoft Office necessary.
- Excel XML Writer allows creation of .XLS (Excel) files. No Microsoft Office necessary. Been a while since it has been updated. It also provides code generator to create code from already created XLS file (saved as xml). Haven’t tested this but looks very promising. Too bad author is long time gone.
- Excel Reader allows creation/reading of .XLS (Excel) files. No Microsoft Office necessary. Been a while since it has been updated.
- Excel Package allows creation/reading of .XLSX (Excel 2007) files. No Microsoft Office necessary. Author is gone so it’s out of date.
- EPPlus is based on Excel Package and allows creation/reading of .XLSX (Excel 2007). It is actually the most advanced even comparing to NPOI.
- NPOI is the .NET version of POI Java project at http://poi.apache.org/. POI is an open source project which can help you read/write xls, doc, ppt files.
- LinqToTwitter – Linq-based wrapper for all Twitter API functionality in C#
- Facebook C# SDK – A toolkit for creating facebook applications / integrating websites with Facebook using the new Graph API or the old rest API.
- sharpserializer – xml/binary serializer for wpf, asp.net and silverlight
- protobuf-net – .NET implementation of google’s cross-platform binary serializer (for all .NET platforms)
- CSLA Framework – Business Objects Framework
- Prism – Composit UI application block for WPF, Silverlight and WP7 – Microsoft patterns & practices
- Enterprise Library 5.0 – Logging, Exception Management, Caching, Cryptography, Data Access, Validation, Security, Policy Injection – Microsoft patterns & practices
- File helpers library
- C5 Collections – Collections for .NET
- Quartz.NET – Enterprise Job Scheduler for .NET Platform
- MiscUtil – Utilities by Jon Skeet
- Noda Time – DateTime replacement (idomatic port of Joda Time from Java)
- Lucene.net – Text indexing and searching
- Json.NET – Linq over JSON
- Flee – expression evaluator
- PostSharp – AOP
- IKVM – brings the extensive world of Java libraries to .NET.
- C# Webserver – Embeddable webserver
- Long Path – Microsoft
- .NET Engines for the GOLD Parsing System
- Smart Thread Pool – Thread Pool management library
- NCQRS – library for event-driven architectures (CQRS).
- NBug – Automated exception, error reporting tool (can generate minidumps)
- Math.NET Numerics – special functions, linear algebra, probability models, random numbers, interpolation, integral transforms and more
- Splicer.Net – library for the .Net framework that aims to simplify developing applications for editing and encoding audio and video using DirectShow.
Please provide links to these free libraries as well. Once we have a huge list of this, it can be arranged in categories! Please do not mention .NET Applications/EXEs here. Please write comments…